What is well-being?
Well-being is the physical and mental health that comes from high levels of positive interaction between the individual, their ‘mental capital’ and their circumstances.
WE have a health and well being course running regularly on a Friday, free to attend. All welcome.
According to nef, ‘high levels of well-being mean that we are more able to respond to difficult circumstances, to innovate and constructively engage with other people and the world around us’.
How can co-housing enable well-being?
A design to promote well-being builds in opportunities for social interaction (and privacy when needed!) and physical activities.
At Hockerton Housing Project the combination of the private homes, shared land and co-operative business promote:
- Responsibility: each adult has responsibility to support shared elements of the project, giving them a strong sense of self within the community
- Community: alongside that sense of self there is also a strong sense of support
- Physical exercise: every family helps grow food and maintain the land
- Mental stimulation: residents take responsibility for actions
- Fulfilment: new skills and friendships develop as a result